On top of taking 5 classes, partaking in student activities, keeping our houses relatively clean (ha) and making sure we don’t catch the flu that half of campus is currently suffering from, we Georgetown students have to manage our expenses.
For many of us, the mere thought of paying back loans is troublesome enough to keep us tossing and turning at night. I may not have a solution to all these issues, but I can offer you some thrifty deals in the Georgetown area that can keep a little extra dough in your wallet – and some delicious grub in your tummy.
1. Sea Catch Happy Hour (Canal Square 1054 31st St NW, Ste 1000)
Monday-Saturday; 5-7pm. $1 oysters and 1/2 off drinks make Sea Catch put the “happy” in happy hour. Who doesn’t love a delicious raw bar after a long day of classes?
2. Bandolero (3241 M St. NW) Friday Happy Hour Specials – 4 Tecate Cans; $4 Shot of Espolon with Sangrita; $4 Apps; $5 Breckenridge Agave Wheat Bottles; $5 Antonietti Extra Brut; $5 Apps; $6 El Bandolero Margaritas, Ferrari Carano Pinot Grigio and Graffiato Nebbiolo; $5 Shrimp Cocktail – I get it.
Bandolero sometimes gets a bad rap, just like Modern does. But reputation aside, who can say no to all these amazing deals? The $4 Apps alone are reason enough for you 21+ Hoyas to take a trip down to M Street. (Also, rumor has it that Kate Hudson and Muse were hanging out there the other night, so essentially what I’m saying is if you go to happy hour, you’ll become best friends with a celebrity).
3. Chadwicks Saturday Specials (3205 K St. NW) $2 Domestic Bottles & House Wine; $2.50 Rail Drinks & Margaritas; 50 Cent Buffalo Wings; 1/2 Price Potato Skins; $2.50 Miller Lite & Bud Bottles – There’s something so Georgetown-y about heading down to Chadwicks for a nice drink by the waterfront. And with these deals, you get all the classiness of a Chadwicks meal on a college student budget. I’ll drink to that!
4. Garrett’s (3003 M St NW) Happy Hour 5-7 every day. 25-cent wings. Could it get any better? That wasn’t a rhetorical question. The answer is: no, it can’t. It’s like Chicken Finger Thursday taken to a whole other level… Oh, and did we mention this happens every day?
5. Mr. Smith’s (3104 M St NW) Weekdays 5-7 pm. Half-priced appetizers. My, oh my! Though poor Mr. Smith’s didn’t hold up too well against The Tombs in our previous Georgetown March Madness bracket, it doesn’t mean that they can’t hold up in terms of happy hour specials. What’s nicer than sitting out in Mr. Smith’s nice garden bar and munching on some grub, all while remembering that it’s half-priced?
So, Hoyas, go out and eat some wings and drink some cocktails, but rest assured you’re spending wisely and saving up! Keep saving that money and get out there!