Once a week, The Hoya recognizes one or two staffers who have done a particularly awesome job — now you can get to know about them, too. Here’s our interview with Staffer of the Week Gregory Saydah:
Once a week, The Hoya recognizes one or two staffers who have done a particularly awesome job — now you can get to know about them, too. Here’s our interview with Staffer of the Week Brian Carden:
Hometown: Port Washington, N.Y.
Major: Finance and Operations & Information Management
Position on The Hoya: Director of Sales
Why did you earn Staffer of the Week?
I sold a bunch of ads, including breaking the record for the New Student Guide. To quote Executive Editor Mallika Sen, “#nonewsfriday.”
What famous actor would play you in a movie about your life?
I’d have to say Adam Scott since I have a strikingly uncanny resemblance to Ben Wyatt.
What advice would you give a young Brian Carden – let’s say four years ago?
Don’t take yourself so seriously.
Are you a Jack the Bulldog or a John Carroll?
While the idea of lounging around Copley Lawn and winding up in the profile pictures of squatting freshmen certainly sounds appealing, I’m going to have to go with John Carroll. Like me, he seems like the kind of guy who liked to get stuff done. (I mean, after all, he founded Georgetown.)
Congrats to Brian! May you continue in your sales success.
Every year after the Thanksgiving turkey has been stored and the last few pieces of pie have been consumed, a new time for celebration approaches. Before the Christmas bells start to ring, the bargain shopping season arrives just as quickly as it ends. Many shoppers face the difficult decision – a Sophie’s choice if you will – of whether to shop on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. 4E has compared the two, and here are the results!
Cyber Monday vs. Black Friday:
Cyber Monday Wins with…
1. Safety Let’s say you spend your Thanksgiving with family, and perhaps do not feel inclined to wake up early the next day only to be attacked in a giant clothing outlet. If this sounds like you, then Cyber Monday wins with the opportunity for shoppers to wait til the holiday ends and still enjoy the sales.
2. Comparison When you are online, you can easily compare prices and not get too overwhelmed (or overspend) in the midst of a buying frenzy.
3. Comfort Perhaps one of the most important advantages: Cyber Monday allows shoppers to remain in the comfort of their homes, beds and even pajamas.
Black Friday Wins with…
1. Trying it on! If you have not experienced waiting for an order to arrive to the mailbox, opening it and – to your dismay – realizing that the small online picture lied to you, then you are very lucky (perhaps buy a lotto ticket at some point?). With Black Friday shopping, you can see what you are buying, recognize the quality and possibly even try it on. Plus, there’s no need to wait for shipping (or pay the shipping fees).
2. First come, first serve Black Friday starts off the bargain season, which means shoppers get first dibs when they arrive. Because of this, Cyber Monday doesn’t always include the same number of Black Friday deals or items.
3. Thrills Some people actually enjoy the rush of running around, scouting for a particular item and feeling the sweet satisfaction of getting that prized item … especially in comparison to simply clicking “add to bag.”
So, in the end, who wins? Lucky for us, we do not have to decide and can partake in both! Speaking of which, only a few hours are left til midnight and the end of all those Cyber Monday sales. To make shopping a little easier, check out the official Cyber Monday website.
Happy shopping, Hoyas!