4E has a lot to say about everyone’s favorite dining hall on campus, but first let us say: CONGRATS!
We are seriously so happy and excited for the joint success of the Georgetown Solidarity Committee and the Leo’s-Aramark campaign with their win!!! The advocacy and rallying done by students and workers on this campus have yielded extraordinary efforts:
- An increase in minimum wage for Aramark workers by $2.00 over the next 4 years
- Broader health care coverage with lower premiums
- Greater protection for immigrant workers
- A sustainability committee to improve food quality, as well as paid training for all cooks
- Life insurance and a scholarship fund
- Guarantee of union representation and a fair bargaining process for all other Aramark employees
Finally, the hardworking friendly faces that are responsible for our survival each day (literally a freshman with a meal plan owes their life to Leo’s at this point right?!) will receive the benefits and compensation that their hard work deserves!
*Even those of you who may not be particularly keen with the options at O’Donovan’s by the Waterfront have to be grateful for the familiar friendly faces that serve us our vegan banana bread, chicken tenders and wok each day.
Now to the other purpose of this post……
Leo’s: the mysterious and the majestic.
As an avid Leo’s goer and Leo’s lover, I find myself full of questions about the magic that goes into creating such a deluxe college cafeteria environment. My personal favorite mystery is the playlists: Where do they come from? Is there a schedule? When is the best time to go to get a little throwback 2000’s R&B/hip hop going on? But best of all… how will I ever get my own music collection to live up to the glory of Leo’s?
It’s been rumored that it is the Leo’s workers themselves who pick the playlist. While I can neither confirm nor deny this, I will commend it. It’s just always so on point.
Jo-Jo, 3OH!3, Michael Jackson, 50 Cent, Walking in Memphis, Get Low… They seriously run the gamut from the all-time best sing alongs to the songs that bring you back to the days of driving to the grocery store with your mom as a little kid. It’s magical.
On another note, 4E has heard the speculative rumor that Leo’s is, in some discreet way, offering tours?! True or not, we have come up with a Leo’s bucket list of our own to explore the mystery…
1. The room out back downstairs where all of the basketball players eat: what goes on in there? We figure it probably involves crowns, worship, and caviar…?
2. Where does the food come from? Actually though, they’re serving thousands of us each day, how do they cook it all? Do they have a team of minions helping them out?
3. Where does Jack the Bulldog eat? Feeling like it wouldn’t be unsafe to assume he has his own kitchen and palace somewhere up in here.
4. The elevator outside in the back: where does it go?
5. What are the vegan chicken nuggets made out of? Because they’re seriously so good.
For now, that is all. Congrats again, Leo’s! I’m sure many of us will be seeing you soon.